Lampshade Fittings made simple!

Updated: Dec 5, 2019

Duplex or Gimbal, EU or UK Standard what fitting do I need for my shade? The fittings used to fit your beautiful lampshade to the ceiling, a wall or a lamp-base can be bewildering in their technical jargon. Don't worry - as we will try and make this as simple as possible for you to understand.

Most of our smaller lampshades have what is called a Gimbal fitting supplied with a plastic Converter disc making them suitable for both EU and UK Standard lamp-bases.

A Converter disc (also known as a reducer or washer) is a plastic disc that fits inside an EU standard lampshade fitting to enable the lampshade to also be used with UK lamp-bases and ceiling lights.

Our larger lampshades use what is called a Duplex fitting which makes them suitable for both lamp-bases and ceiling lights. These are supplied with a lampshade Carrier and a convertor suitable for use with lamp-bases.

A Carrier is a small triangular wire cage. It fits onto your lamp-base to allow larger lampshades with a Duplex fitting to be used. If you need a larger ceiling lampshade please ask for a Spider fitting when you buy.

A Spider fitting is a metal ring with hooks to enable the lampshade to be secured for ceiling use and is suitable for EU and UK standard ceiling light fittings.

All of our Up-Cycled 'vintage' lampshades come with a standard UK fitting ONLY and cannot be converted to an EU fitting.

NB Each of our listings in our Online shop clearly state whether the lampshade can be used for lamp-base, ceiling or both and if a converter is supplied.


© 2019 Jennifer Fraser Lampshades